Advancement Via Individual Determination
AVID’s mission is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a national program for 4th-12th grade students designed to support and assist those who have not previously succeeded in a college preparatory path for admission to universities and colleges. Our goal is to provide all students with the essential resources needed to be successful in rigorous courses and to promote an awareness of the significance of higher education, as well as the limitless opportunities for their futures. As an academic support elective, AVID seeks to prepare students for college eligibility and empowers them to strive for academic excellence.
In the AVID class, students are educated on the innumerable skills required to achieve academic success. Students receive daily instruction in Cornell note-taking, time management, organization, reading, writing, and study skills, and receive additional support twice a week through collaborative tutorial groups with peers and AVID-trained tutors. Students also learn about colleges and universities (the application and financial aid processes) through college field trips and are encouraged to explore career opportunities through curriculum, research, and guest speakers. AVID is offered to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students.
*Students need to apply and be accepted to this program.
Characteristics of an AVID Student
- GPA of 2.0-3.5
- Score a high-level 2 or 3 on FSA Reading and Math
- No attendance or discipline problems
- Are willing to devote themselves to a minimum of one hour of homework each night
- Are willing to commit to enrollment in rigorous college preparatory sequence of courses
- Desire to attend a four year college or university
- Possibly a first generation college student (first member of the family to attend college)
- Voluntarily decision by the student, NOT the parent
- Complete an application and be accepted to this program
Mebane Middle School is dedicated to preparing all students for college and career readiness. The purpose of the AVID elective class is to empower all students to maximize their individual potential, by teaching them various strategies to implement, in order to be successful in rigorous coursework and future endeavors. Our objective is to encourage all students to set goals and to be confident in their ability to achieve those ambitions. Students are taught academic vocabulary, using critical thinking skills, engaging in collaborative tutorials, attending college field trips, listening to guest speakers, taking Cornell notes, and implementing various WICOR (Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading) strategies.
- Recommendation of a 3 year commitment in AVID
- Participation in tutorials, collaborative groups, field trips, Socratic seminars, philosophical chairs, and motivational activities
- Maintain satisfactory attendance and citizenship in all classes
- Display positive, respectful behavior in all classes
- Maintain the digital AVID binder with Cornell notes in all classes
- Maintain a GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Signed AVID Contract
- Enroll in rigorous classes (to include advanced, honor, and AP as applicable)