Face Covering Requirements
- All persons (students, staff, contractors, vendors, and visitors) must wear appropriate face coverings that cover both the mouth and nose when on school board property, at a school board activity, or riding a bus or in other approved transportation.
- All persons must have a face covering with them at all times while on district property, even if they are in a location where they are able to maintain social distancing.
- The wearing of a face covering is a health issue. Student compliance will be handled as a health and safety issue, not as a disciplinary issue.
- Students and staff will be provided face coverings as needed.
- Teachers may provide mask breaks as long as appropriate social distancing and safety requirements can be met.
- Children in kindergarten and below will be educated, encouraged and expected to wear face coverings, but failure to wear a face covering will not prohibit their attendance if they are unable to wear a face covering at all times.
- Wearing a face covering is not required while eating or drinking.
- Persons who have difficulty breathing or suffer sensory issues due to a documented medical or psychological issue will not be required to wear a face covering. If appropriate, they will be asked to wear a clear face shield, unless wearing the face shield would also cause breathing or sensory issues. Documentation from a medical provider must be on file before a person will be excused from this face covering requirement. (Downloadable Letter Below)
- Persons communicating with hearing-impaired individuals who need to see the other person’s mouth to communicate will not be required to wear a face covering.
- Teachers, staff members, and students, at the direction of the teacher, may remove their face coverings when wearing them would impede instruction.
- Masks are not required during extracurricular activities such as recess or physical education provided social distancing is in place. Students must keep masks with them at all times.