COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols: Cleaning and Disinfecting
Maintaining a safe and healthy environment is a top priority in our schools. The district will continue the daily cleaning of all facilities, with special attention given to specific high-use areas such as door handles, knobs, and buttons. We will utilize safe and effective products that comply with recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Campus custodians have received professional development on the process of deep cleaning facilities. In addition, they have received training should a confirmed case of COVID-19 be identified on campus or specific site requiring it to be closed for a designated amount of time as recommended by the CDC.
Schools are required to:
- Clean frequently touched surfaces daily and between groups. Routine cleaning focuses on frequently touched surfaces like door handles, shared desks and tables, light switches, sink handles, and keyboards.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces that come in contact with food before and after meals and snacks.
- Ensure safe and correct use and storage of cleaning and disinfection products, including storing products securely away from children. Use District-approved products that meet EPA disinfection criteria.
- Avoid using cleaning products near children, and ensure that there is adequate ventilation when using these products to prevent children or staff from inhaling toxic fumes.
- Ensure adequate supplies and personal protective equipment are available to support routine cleaning and disinfection.
- If a person with COVID-19 has been on campus in the last 24 hours, clean and disinfect the areas where the person with COVID-19 spent a large proportion of their time. Follow these steps:
- Close off areas used by the sick person and do not use those areas until after cleaning and disinfecting.
- Wait as long as possible (at least several hours) before cleaning and disinfecting.
- Wear a mask and gloves while cleaning and disinfecting.
- Focus on the immediate areas occupied by the person who is sick or diagnosed with COVID-19 unless they have already been cleaned and disinfected.
- Clean and disinfect all surfaces and shared items in the areas used by the ill person. If common areas such as bathrooms or shared items have already been routinely cleaned and disinfected, there is no need for additional action.