ESOL Training for Teachers
ESOL Certified vs. ESOL Endorsed
- To obtain ESOL certification, a teacher must have 120 allowable ESOL points and then pass the ESOL subject area exam.
- To obtain ESOL endorsement, a teacher must have 300 in-service ESOL points, 60 points from each of the five required ESOL courses.
Upon completion of the requirements for either certification or endorsement, the teacher must apply to have this added to his/her certificate. The application may be obtained from the Certification Department (955-7721).
Transfer of College Credit
It is possible to transfer previous college credit to in-service points for ESOL credit. The titles of the five required courses are:
- ESOL: Applied Linguistics
- ESOL: Cross Cultural Communication and Understanding
- ESOL: Curriculum & Materials Development
- ESOL: Methods of Teaching ESOL
- ESOL: Testing and Evaluation
If a teacher thinks s/he has taken a college course that is comparable to one of the ESOL Endorsement courses, please send your transcripts to Bessie Criscione in the Office of Professional Development (firstname.lastname@example.org).