Welcome to the Library Media Center
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
Policies and Procedures
- Kindergarten & First Grade students may check out 1 book if they do not have a lost or overdue book on their record.
- Second Grade students may check out 2 books if they do not have a lost or overdue book on their record.
- Third, Fourth, and Fifth Grade students may check out 3 books if they do not have a lost or overdue book on their record.
- Students may keep their books for 1 week, and then they can renew their books if they are not finished reading them.
- Students are required to pay for lost or damaged books. Students can bring a book of comparable value from home to replace the one that was lost or damaged.
- There are no fines for overdue books. Classroom teachers receive notification of any student that has an overdue book.
- Students will not be allowed to borrow any more books until the overdue books have been returned.
The mission of the Media Center is to provide not only quality materials, but also access to information and ideas for all users. It affords opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to appreciate literature and the cultural arts, to learn creative thinking skills, to become critical seekers of information and ideas, and to use instructional and educational technology effectively. Our goal is to instill in our students a love of reading and the ability to locate, evaluate and use information in order to complete a task. The acquisition of this knowledge will help our students to become life-long learners and decision makers. It is to this end that our library information skills lessons are conducted. Some of these informational lessons include:
- Library Orientation and use of the library
- Care of books and materials
- Understanding the Dewey Decimal System
- Using the Horizon Online Catalog
- Using the Education My Portal Elementary Resources available at: http://myportal.sbac.edu/uPortal/render.userLayoutRootNode.uP
- Research skills and advanced searching skills
- Understanding genres and choosing books in different genres
- Identifying and reading award winning books such as Caldecott, Newbery, and Sunshine State Award books.
School Library Catalog
Note: Email addresses are followed by @gm.sbac.edu
Phone: (352) 495-2111