Foster STEM Magnet Program
The STEM Magnet Program at Stephen Foster offers a comprehensive hands-on curriculum that integrates Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math in a real-world context. Students apply the engineering design process to STEM challenges that are integrated into the mathematics and science curriculum emphasizing problem solving, data analysis, and higher order thinking.
Highlights/Expectations of the Program
- STEM Lab with full-time STEM teacher
- Instructional technology including interactive white board, document cameras, desktop computers for student use, etc.
- Laptops for student use
- Above-level placement in core academics as needed to meet individual needs
- Cooperative and project-based learning opportunities with academically motivated students
- Transporation provided by the district
- Fieldtrips tied to the curriculum which may include Physics Day at Busch Gardens, Sea World, St. Augustine Beach, the Jacksonville Zoo, and others
- 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grades
STEM Frequently Asked Questions
Where is Stephen Foster located?
- We are located at the intersection of NW 6th St. and NW 39th Ave.
Will transportation be provided?
- Transportation is available to students living more than two miles from the school.
Is after-school care available?
- Yes. Call the Extended Day Enrichment Office at 955-7766 for information.
What are the average class sizes?
- Grade 3 - 18 students per class.
- Grades 4 and 5 - 22 students per class
How are students' instructional levels determined?
- All placement decisions are made based on data. Placement tests, benchmark tests, and district assessment will be used in determining the students' instructional level for language arts and mathematics.
Do we have to reapply every year?
- No. Students who maintain good grades (at least 3.0 GPA), attendance and behavior automatically roll up to the next grade. We will survey parents in the spring to ascertain whether the student will return in order to prepare for any new applicants.
What extracurricular activities are available to students?
- Various student interest clubs, such as Robotics Club, Percussion and tentatively a Chess Club.
- Safety Patrol (5th grade)
Are there any costs associated with attending the magnet?
- There are no costs above those normally expected of parents (Paper, pencil, binders, occasional field trip fees, etc.)
Is there a program for siblings of magnet students?
- We welcome all siblings of the students in the STEM Magnet at Stephen Foster Elementary. Siblings who are out of zone my apply for school choice or a zoning exemption. At the end of 2nd grade, siblings may be invited to apply to the magnet if they meet initial selection criteria. For more information about zoning, please go to the Zoning webpage. https://fl02219191.
I understand that a student’s participation in a magnet program is a privilege. The authorization to remain in a program, once accepted, requires strict adherence to the Student Code of Conduct. Acceptance in a magnet program equates to a zoning exception to participate in that program, even if the student is zoned to attend that school by address. The principal reserves the right to revoke a student’s participation in a magnet program and return the student to their zoned school (or in that school’s general program if the student is zoned to attend that school by their address) upon violations that meet the language in the Student Code of Conduct and/or the Board Policy 5120.04 that may result in revocation.Please review the following requirements for our elementary magnet programs:Parents will affirm the following on the application during the application process
Magnet Applications will open in January 2023!
Magnet Application Timeline
2023-2024 School Year
Tuesday, January 17, 2023 Application Opens
Online Application is available via a link on sbac.edu
General questions about magnet programs and applications should be directed to 352-955-7622
Tuesday, February 14, 2023 Application Closes at 4:00 p.m.
Online application closes at 4:00 p.m.
Paper copies MUST be postmarked by this date.
Tuesday, April 4, 2023 Acceptance/Waitlist Notification to Parents
Tuesday, April 11, 2023 Commitment Deadline
Students have the opportunity to participate in a variety of clubs. Our clubs change based on the needs and interests of our current students. This year we offer the following clubs:
- STEM Club
- Book Buddies Club
- Math Club
- Chess Club
- Robotics Club
- Maker's Space
- Media Club
- Yearbook Club
Additionally, fourth and fifth-grade students may qualify for membership in the National Elementary Honor Society. For more information regarding clubs at Stephen Foster please contact the school at (352) 955-6706.
2023-2024 STEM Magnet Teachers
STEM Lab Teacher