STEM Frequently Asked Questions
Where is Stephen Foster located?
- We are located at the intersection of NW 6th St. and NW 39th Ave.
Will transportation be provided?
- Transportation is available to students living more than two miles from the school.
Is after-school care available?
- Yes. Call the Extended Day Enrichment Office at 955-7766 for information.
What are the average class sizes?
- Grade 3 - 18 students per class.
- Grades 4 and 5 - 22 students per class
How are students' instructional levels determined?
- All placement decisions are made based on data. Placement tests, benchmark tests, and district assessment will be used in determining the students' instructional level for language arts and mathematics.
Do we have to reapply every year?
- No. Students who maintain good grades (at least 3.0 GPA), attendance and behavior automatically roll up to the next grade. We will survey parents in the spring if to ascertain whether the student will return in order to prepare for any new applicants.
What extracurricular activities are available to students?
- Various student interest clubs such as STEM Club, Robotics Club, and Chess Club.
- National Elementary Honor Society (For fourth and fifth grade students only)
- Safety Patrol (5th grade)
Are there any costs associated with attending the magnet?
- There are no costs above those normally expected of parents (Paper, pencil, binders, occasional field trip fees, etc.)
Is there a program for siblings of magnet students?
- We welcome all siblings of the students in the STEM Magnet at Stephen Foster Elementary. Siblings who are out of zone my apply for school choice or a zoning exemption. At the end of 2nd grade, siblings may be invited to apply to the magnet if they meet initial selection criteria. For more information about zoning, please go to the Zoning webpage. https://fl02219191.