NES was originally located on Sixth Street in the southwest quadrant of Newberry. The school takes its name from the town which was named Newberry by one of the first settlers who came here from Newberry, South Carolina. The first school was a frame building built before 1900. This was replaced with a wooden building on the site of the present "Little Red School House". This building burnt and the red brick building was built in 1909. Several buildings were added over time. Our current building was then built in 1975. However, the building was not finished for the fall and school was started in the old building. On October 13, 1975, the teachers, children and staff, carrying all their books and belongings in their arms, marched down the road to the new building. Leading the parade was Geraldine Getzen, principal here for 18 years, carrying the flag from the flagpole. The school has had seven principals, Geraldine Getzen, Dianna Lagotic, Georgan Roberts, Glenda Good, Janice McPhail, Lacy Redd, Beth Pearlman and currently Vicki McAlhany.