Magnet Application Information
Applications for the 2024-2025 school year will open on January 16, 2024 and close at 4:00 p.m. on February 13, 2024. You must have the application completed by 4:00 on that day in order to be considered for the first round of review. Any applications after that time will be processed as a late application. The link to the application will be on the district’s magnet website (www.sbac.edu/magnet). The open house schedule, as well as links to each program are also on that site.
If you have program specific questions, please contact us at the school. For general questions, please contact the district magnet office by emailing email@example.com or by calling 352-955-7121.
8th graders will be able to shadow our program during the week of January 16-19th! A sign-up form is coming soon!
Magnet Open House will now be on January 29th, 2024 at 7pm @ Santa Fe High School! Come join us to learn information about the program. Potential students will be engaging in hands-on labs during this event!
Institute of Biotechnology
Welcome to the Institute of Biotechnology at Santa Fe High School, established in 2007.
SFHS is a model school for biotechnology education in the State of Florida and offers academic and career and technical education credits.
The Institute of Biotechnology was recently chosen by the State of Florida to receive a $118,000 Workforce Development Grant in order to upgrade our State-of-the-Art Program and allow us to continue providing cutting edge, hands-on experiences in the classroom.
- Biotechnology is the technological application of living organisms or their derivatives, such as DNA, proteins, or cells, to make or modify new products or processes.
- Biotechnology is "DIVERSE" in application; in research and industry such as: agriculture, pharmacology, bioinformatics, environmental and many more sciences.
- Biotechnology jobs are in demand!
- According to The National Employment Matrix, the employment of biological scientists is projected to grow 6 percent over the 2022-2032 decade.
- The Institute of Biotechnology offers students the opportunity to prepare for career paths, articulation into Santa Fe College, or entry into the University of Florida.
We would like to thank our advisory board, comprised of:
Degrees and Certifications:
Project Management Ready Entrepreneurship & Small Business AEST Agricultural Biotechnology Biotechnician Assistant Certification Exam(BACE)
Mr. Tyler Wells
Tyler Wells is the Program Director for the Institute of Biotechnology @ Santa Fe High School. Mr. Wells has been a teacher in Alachua County for 7 years, calling Santa Fe High School home for 5 years. Throughout his early career, Mr. Wells has taught Biology, Environmental Science, AP Physics, Astronomy, and now Biotechnology. Mr. Wells received his Bachelors Degree in Biology from the University of Florida and currently holds 4 industry certifications.