Academic Magnets and Career and Technical Academies
Middle School Magnet Programs
The Academy of Technology and Advanced Studies @ Howard Bishop Middle
Center for Advanced Academics and Technology @ Oak View Middle
The Lyceum: Center for Advanced Studies @ Lincoln Middle School
*Cambridge at Westwood Middle School and R.E.A.C.H. at Fort Clarke Middle School are not district magnet programs. You will need to contact the appropriate school for information.
High School Career and Technical Academies
Academy of Entrepreneurship @ Buchholz High
Academy of Finance @ Buchholz High
Institute of Culinary Arts @ Eastside High
Academy of Future Teachers @ Gainesville High
Academy of Health Professions @ Gainesville High
Academy of Automotive Technology @ Loften High
Academy of Fire & Emergency Medical Services @ Loften High
Academy of Gaming and Mobile Apps @ Loften High
Academy of Robotics and Engineering @ Loften High
Institute of Graphic Art and Design @ Loften High
Academy of Criminal Justice @ Newberry High
Academy of Agriscience @ Santa Fe High
Institute of Biotechnology @ Santa Fe High
Available Magnet Seats as of April 17, 2019
Listed below are the Magnet Programs for the 2019-2020 that have open seats:
Williams Magnet Program (4th grade only) at Williams Elementary School
Academy of Future Teachers (9th & 10th grade) at Gainesville High School
Academy of Automotive Technology (9th, 10th & 11th grade) at PAM @ Loften High School
Academy of Fire & EMS (9th, 10th & 11th grade) at PAM @ Loften High School
Academy of Gaming & Mobile Apps (9th, 10th & 11th grade) at PAM @ Loften High School
Academy of Robotics & Engineering (9th, 10th & 11th grade) at PAM @ Loften High School
Academy of Agriscience (9th & 10th grade) at Santa Fe High School
Institute of Biotechnology (9th & 10th grade) at Santa Fe High School
The International Baccalaureate Program (IB) (10th & 11th grade) at Eastside High School
For an application, please call 352-955-7629 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
New Magnet Application Process
Alachua County Public Schools is implementing a new magnet program application process for all of the district’s academic and career and technical (CTE) magnet programs. This application process is more streamlined, centralized and aims to promote diversity and expand educational opportunities to all students.
Under this process, 75% of the new students in each magnet program will be selected by the school. The other 25% will be chosen through a districtwide lottery system. Students must meet certain academic, attendance and disciplinary standards to be eligible for each magnet. High school applicants will also be required to submit short essays specific to each program. Families will only need to submit one application to the district per student.
The application process opened January 8, 2019, and closed February 8, 2019.
Magnet Application and Acceptance Timeline - Revised
Friday, January 8, 2019 -- Application Opens
- Online application available via a link on sbac.edu
- Paper copies will be available at each school, if needed
Friday, February 8, 2019 -- Application Closes
- Online application closes at 11:59 p.m.
- Paper applications must be postmarked by this date
No later than Friday, March 1, 2019 -- Parents notified of acceptance/waitlists
Tuesday, March 12, 2019 -- Parent/Student commitment deadline
Second Selection, Notification and Commitment
March 15, 2019 -- Second round of notification to families
March 29, 2019 -- Parent/Student Commitment deadline
The application window is now closed. However, there are some programs that are not yet full and paper applications are being accepted for these programs ONLY. Please see the "Available Magnet Seats" section on this website or contact us for more information.
Non Discrimination & Equal Opportunity
The Alachua County Public Schools District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability (Section 504/ADA) sexual orientation, gender identity or marital status, genetics or legally-protected characteristics in its educational programs, services or activities, or in its hiring or employment practices. The district also provides equal access to its facilities to the Boy Scouts and other patriotic youth groups, as required by the Boys Scout of America Equal Access Act.
Lack of English Language Skills will not be a barrier for participation.
Questions, complaints, or requests for additional information regarding discrimination or harassment:
For Employees contact Bart Brooks via email brooksba or call (352) 955-7727
For Students contact Jennifer Taylor via email taylorjp or call (352) 955-7671
Note: Email addresses are followed by @gm.sbac.edu.