The attendance policy is designed to facilitate learning at GHS by ensuring that students are in class and participating in the learning process. Students should attend class daily and provide the school with an adequate explanation and appropriate documentation for all absences. It is the responsibility of each student’s parent or guardian to explain the student’s absence to the school. Reasons for excused absences include:
- sickness; injury; death in the family
- documented appointments with health care professionals
- documented absence for religious instruction or religious holiday
- participation in an academic class or school-sponsored activity approved by the principal
- court appearances (copy of subpoena required)
- All other absences are considered unexcused, including suspensions from school.
The numbers of absences a student may have per semester and still be eligible (IF a passing grade is received on a comprehensive final exam) for credit are:
- 6 excused with a parent note
- 6 unexcused
- medical excuses with documentation from a health-related professional
- students with many medical excuses must apply for Homebound Status
A student who exceeds the numbers of unexcused absences may be unable to receive credit for his/her semester classes. Students who are absent the day of an activity should NOT be allowed to participate in that activity. Students absent days prior to an activity should NOT be allowed to participate in that activity.
Parents are responsible for the attendance of their children within the compulsory attendance age (Florida Statute 1003.24). Any student who accumulates 15 or more unexcused absences within 90 calendar days may be classified as a habitual truant and, as such, may have a truancy petition or a children-in-need-of-services petition filed by the Superintendent (Florida Statutes 1003.27).
Truancy: If a student has more than fifteen unexcused absences within ninety calendar days, he or she will be considered truant. Under Florida’s Compulsory Attendance Law, truant students and their parents may face legal sanctions, including appearance in truancy court.
Late students must check in with the attendance office and receive a pass to class.
More information regarding attendance can be found on our district site.
Checking Students Out of School
Students will not be checked out of school after 2:00 pm, unless prior notice is made. Parents should check students out of school in person.
Excused Absence Notes
All excused absence notes should be turned into the attendance office within 48 hours.
Messages will only be delivered to students on an emergency basis.
All emergency phone messages should be called in by 2:00pm.