Academy of Health Professions
The Academy of Health Professions is a Career Academy Magnet program located on the campus of Gainesville High School. The focus of the AHP program is to provide experience for students interested in pursuing technical training in health-related careers.
The program consists of integrated curricula in applied academics and clinical experiences in health care settings. Directly following graduation, the student will be better prepared to seek employment in the health field and be able to continue education at the post secondary level.
The program articulates with the EKG Technician, Dental Aide, Physical Therapy Aide, and Certified Pharmacy Technician, Nursing, Emergency Medical Services programs at Santa Fe College and is operated in conjunction with the health care providers of the community.
Prior to applying to the Academy of Health Professions please watch the two student videos presented on this page by a former student Charmique and a current student Zoe. Please also take the opportunity to read the other information provided on this page to help you determine if this program is a good fit for you. This will provide a better guide as what to expect in the Academy of Health Professions. This is a rigorous program that will prepare you for a future in a health-related career.
Students can be enrolled in both Academy of Health Professions and Cambridge.
Benefits of AHP:
- Foundation for future in health career
- Clinical experience
- Industry certification
- Bank nine hours of SFC credit with grade of B or better on exit exam
- Qualify for Gold Seal Scholarship - Overall GPA of 3.0 & 3.5 in AHP courses
- Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA)
The Selection Process consists of:
- Applying online to the Academy of Health Professions (AHP)
- May apply to 3 CTE programs in total - Ranking of programs very important
- Making a commitment to participate in clinicals, complete program of studies and testing in Nursing Assistant, Allied Health (Physical Therapy Aide, Certified Pharmacy technician, Certified EKG Technician) and Emergency Medical Services program through dual enrollment at Santa Fe College.
IMPORTANT REQUIREMENTS FOR AHP:
- No major referrals
- Maximum 10 unexcused absences
- 2.5 GPA
- Strong interest in a career in healthcare
- Compassion, integrity, and accountability are critical qualities
- Understanding that AHP is unique and requires mandatory patient contact in 12th grade
- Please make sure that you watch the informative videos from current and prior students
What to be expected during the course of this four year program:
- Students must sign the honor code policy and the academy contract
- Students will not attend clinicals until their senior year after successful completion of the academy curriculum in grades 9-12. Successful completion is a grade C or higher.
- Students should expect drug testing and background screening per program/facility/certification protocol during the course of the four years
- Attendance is critical
- Protocols may differ from other magnet programs due to requirements by the State of Florida Board of Nursing, facility requirements and other guidelines in place to assure patient safety
- Evidence of the flu vaccine and other immunizations per clinical facility requirements
Important Information for Applicants:
* Please read all of the information on this page prior to submitting your application
Students: If you ask a teacher to write a recommendation letter, the teacher will not return that letter to you. They will send it directly to us. Recommendations must come from the teacher.