Academy of Health Professions
The Academy of Health Professions is a Career Academy Magnet program located on the campus of Gainesville High School. The focus of the AHP program is to provide experience for students interested in pursuing technical training in health-related careers.
The program consists of integrated curricula in applied academics and clinical experiences in health care settings. Directly following graduation, the student will be better prepared to seek employment in the health field and be able to continue education at the post secondary level.
The program articulates with the EKG Technician, Physical Therapy Aide, and Certified Pharmacy Technician, Nursing, Emergency Medical Services programs at Santa Fe College and is operated in conjunction with the health care providers of the community.
The Academy of Health Professions is a unique medical preparatory program. Please read all information prior to applying. Contact the Director via email with any questions.
Prior to applying to the Academy of Health Professions please watch the two student videos presented on this page by a former students Charmique and Zoe. This will provide a guide to you as what to expect within the academy. Please also take the opportunity to read the other information provided on this page to help you determine if this program is a good fit for you. A strong math, reading and science foundation is encouraged. This program will prepare you for a future in a health-related career.
Students can be enrolled in both Academy of Health Professions and Cambridge.
Benefits of AHP:
- Foundation for future in health career
- Clinical experience
- Industry certification
- Bank nine hours of SFC credit with grade of B or better on exit exam
- Qualify for Gold Seal Scholarship - Overall GPA of 3.0 & 3.5 in AHP courses
- Health Occupation Students of America (HOSA)
The Selection Process consists of:
- Applying online to the Academy of Health Professions (AHP)
- May apply to 4 programs in total may be a combination of CTE and Academic programs- Ranking of programs very important
- Making a commitment to participate in clinicals, complete program of studies and testing in Nursing Assistant, Allied Health (Physical Therapy Aide, Certified Pharmacy technician, Certified EKG Technician) and Emergency Medical Services program through dual enrollment at Santa Fe College.
- If applying to Cambridge at GHS, list Cambridge as #1 and AHP as #2
IMPORTANT REQUIREMENTS FOR AHP:
- No major referrals
- Maximum 10 unexcused absences
- 2.5 GPA
- Strong interest in a career in healthcare
- Compassion, integrity, and accountability are critical qualities
- Understanding that AHP is unique and requires mandatory patient contact in 12th grade
- Please make sure that you watch the informative videos from current and prior students
- Strong math, reading and science skills are not required but encouraged
What to be expected during the course of this four year program:
- Students must sign an honor code policy and the academy contract
- Students will not attend clinicals until their senior year after successful completion of the academy curriculum in grades 9-12. Successful completion is a grade C or higher each semester.
- Attendance is critical
- Protocols may differ from other magnet programs due to requirements by the State of Florida Board of Nursing, facility requirements and other guidelines in place to assure patient safety
- Evidence of the flu vaccine and other immunizations per clinical facility requirements
- Due to requirements established by the State of Florida, Board of Nursing and local clinical sites, drug testing during the course of the program and background checks will be required
Margaret Scarborough RN, Director
8th Grade Viritual Open House February 9, 2022
Question: If I want to be in Cambridge and the Academy of Health Professions how do I select both?
Answer: You would list Cambridge as your first choice and the Academy of Health Professions as your second choice.
Question: Are teacher recommendations required?
Answer: They are not required but they are encouraged. They must be submitted directly from the teacher to the director of academy.
Applicants: It is very important that both you and your parent read the information provided thoroughly. Please watch both student videos as they will provide a great description of their experiences with the Academy of Health Professions.