H.O.P.E. (Health Opportunities through Physical Education)
The purpose of the Health Opportunities through Physical Education (H.O.P.E.) course is to develop and enhance healthy behaviors that influence lifestyle choices and student health and fitness. Students will realize the full benefit of this course when it is taught with an integrated approach. This one-credit physical education course includes integration of health and physical education and is required for graduation for those students who elected a standard diploma. In addition to the physical education content represented in the benchmarks below, specific health education topics within this course include, but are not limited to:
Students at Newberry High School will be enrolled in one semester of Personal Fitness (1501300) and one semester of a Physical Education course. These two courses combined will satisfy the requirements for the H.O.P.E. credit required by the State of Florida Department of Education.
- Mental/Social Health
- Physical Activity
- Components of Physical Fitness
- Nutrition and Wellness Planning
- Diseases and Disorders
- Health Advocacy
- First Aid/CPR
- Alcohol, Tobacco, and Drug Prevention
- Human Sexuality including Abstinence and HIV
- Internet Safety
The only approved waivers from the State of Florida for the state-required H.O.P.E. course include the following:
- Participation in two years of an interscholastic sport at the junior varsity or varsity levels. The Sports Waiver Documentation for Physical Education must be completed by both the student athlete and the Coach/Athletic Director and returned to the NHS Guidance Office.
- Participation two years of performance band with a grade of “C” or better (each semester) will waive the Physical Education course portion of the H.O.P.E. requirement; however, the student must still complete the Personal Fitness course. The Band Waiver Documentation for Physical Education must be completed by both the student athlete and the Band Director/Athletic Director and returned to the NHS Guidance Office.
*The student athlete is responsible for completion and submission of the Sports/Band Waiver form. This form is also available in the NHS Guidance Office.*